Monday, July 27, 2009

Where the Wild Things Are

I adore kids books. It's the illustrations, it's the simple language and it's the imagination. If you asked me for my top 10 books of all time, they are mostly all children's books. They remind me of the simple joys of childhood and how I used to get lost in my imagination and games made up from the books I read.

Up there in the top 10 is Where the Wild Things Are from the legend Maurice Sendak. Did you know that it was first published in 1963 and that Maurice Sendak, who has just turned 81 has written and illustrated more than 90 books!!


Now I do remember reading this story as a young one at school, during reading time at the library. But I've become a fan from reading it to my own children. We probably borrow this book about every 2nd trip to the library to restock on new stories, despite the fact that we have our own copy too! At least this way they can both read along with me :)

It always happens eventually, that someone makes a movie from a popular children's story. I blogged earlier about Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. I think its often thin line on whether a movie does a book justice or not. I always like to read a book before I see a movie based on it. Just that my imagination suits me better than anyone else's does. But sometimes it helps you understand something if you see it from someone else's imagination perspective too.

I wonder how I will feel about the Spike Jonze's take on Where the Wild Things Are when it's released in October? The trailer looks promising, let's hope the best bits aren't in the ads ;) But just between you me and the wall... I think I'm going to like it!



Here's another great site to check out too! It's called Terrible Yellow Eyes and it's artwork from Maurice Sendak fans who are captivated as so many of us are by the magic of the Wild Things.

Image by Joel Furtado

No comments:

Post a Comment