Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Hump Day Helper #3: Box Guitar


I inspired myself into starting a Useful Box. I'm always jealous of the one on Playschool. I have noted that the one on Playschool often adapts dramatically to the crafty task at hand, I don't think I'm quite there yet. So far my useful box has a few old toilet rolls tubes and some plastic biscuit trays.

Today though, it will also contain the contents of my box of tissues after I pilfer the box for today's Box guitar crafty creation.

What do you need?

1 shoe box or empty tissue box
1 old kitchen paper towel roll or ruler (it's mostly for decoration :-)
4-6 Elastic Bands of varying widths and lengths
Scissors
2 Pencils
Paint, stickers etc to decorate

How to do it

1. If your using a tissue box, you can skip the first step because you already have the hole right where you need it.If you are using a shoe box, cut a nice round hole, as smoothly as possible in the centre of the lid to create the hollow body of the guitar.

2. Stretch the elastic bands over the box so they run length wise over the hole. Try to run the bands so they increase in evenly in width to give better sound.

3. Cut another small hole in end of the box between the elastic bands to insert the ruler or paper towel roll.

4. Slide a pencil under the rubber bands at each end of the box to raise them above the hole slightly.

5. Paint and decorate and get ready for the performance.

6. To play, simply pluck or strum the bands to produce the different sounds.

Here is a great photo of a shoebox guitar I found at http://familycrafts.about.com, with some slight variation.


Have a happy hump day!





No comments:

Post a Comment