Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Kids Movies....

This is hardly a hump day suggestion, as most of us probably do this everyday anyway, but I was feeling a little rant like about the movies on at the cinemas lately, this seemed like the next best thing.

I really wanted to take the girls to a movie and have been hanging for the school holidays in the hope that something suitable would make it to the cinemas. But everything these days seems to be too violent, or has "scary themes" (whatever that's supposed to mean) or is a story about how two best friends/parents and children/you fill in the gap, get separated and are very sad and upset and have to go on a quest to find each other during which there is much danger..... blah, blah, blah! does that sound familiar to you or it is just me?

My girls are still too young for these kinds of movies and the ones we've attempted to watch in the past that appeared suitable on the posters and in reviews and have a G rating, left us with endless questions on why the characters where so distraught and why did their friends leave... it goes on and on and on.

So as we don't have a home theatre, we are making a makeshift one for ourselves today. I'm all stocked up on popcorn, have some special cups with straws just like at the movies and I've thrown a couple of sheets up over the glass doors to block out as much light as possible. We've dragged out loads of comfy cushions and a rug or two and we're all set for the show to begin.

Today's screening is Barbie and the 12 Dancing Princesses. Just between you and me, if I have to watch this again, I'm going to poke myself in the eye. But Abby's really into the whole evil stepmother figure at the moment (the lesser of the evils according to her) and after the intermission we will be screening a Care Bears anthology to keep all members of the audience appeased.

At least there's coffee on tap at this theatre and they probably won't notice if I go downstairs and hang out the washing either!

No comments:

Post a Comment